tisdag 14 oktober 2008

An adventure is coming up

In just a few days, I´ll be heading to Nepal. And in another two days, I´ll be heading towards Basecamp Everest. Although this trip has been planned for more than half a year, it feels quite unreal.

I´ve been on mountains before - oh yes. High mountains, snowcovered mountains, too high mountains, green mountains, foggy mountains, hilly mountains... This is special though. We won´t try to climb Mt Everest - oh no. But we will look at her in real life, hopefully from Basecamp or maybe Kala Pathar - a neighbour-mountain which is said to offer a great view of Everest.

They say that most top-expeditions are active during the spring-period. This is the fall-period. Will there be any expeditions at basecamp? I hope so. I´d like to watch the activity. I´d also like to find out what kind of people would actually try to climb this majestic mountain. Are they all athletes, or could there be a few who have a dream which might be a bit drastic to carry out?

We will stay in tea-houses, probably a bit warmer and more comfortable than sleeping in a tent on this altitude. I´m quite humble about this trip. I have had altitude-sickness on a mountain lower than this one. However, many days of acclimatizing should do the trick. And just walking on those mountain-slopes will be half the adventure.

Actually, I wish that our trip was another month away. Looking forward to it and training for it has been fun. Building expectations is always an important part of an experience or a brand. When those expectations are fulfilled, it is worth the price and the effort. I will let you know.

1 kommentar:

deeped sa...

Exciting trip. For a couple of years ago I was the ground control for a customer and friend who did a trip to Cho Oyo and tried to get to the top. It was rather strange to call her in camp 4 at 6000 metres or so, after she was forced to go down without getting to the top, and me sitting in a shopping mall playing with my kids. Have fun and be remarkable :)