tisdag 11 november 2008

The best view of Mt Everest

From the top of Kala Pathar - at altitude 5 545 m - you get the best view of Mt Everest. When the sun touched the top of the mountain on October 28th at 7 am, I was there.



We started the trekk from the teahouse of Gorak Shep only two hours earlier after a night of light sleep. Headlamps lead our way during the first 15 minutes. Then the light of dawn helped us to put our feet in the right places.

I was tired. I was freezing despite heavy winterclothes. I moved slowly with heavy feet. I counted each step - starting with 60 steps at a time before taking short breaks to catch my breath. Then moving up to 100 steps, 120, 150, 200... Stones, sand, gravel...

Turning around every now and then to look at the sun coloring the top of Everest and Himalaya made every step worthwhile. Mountains are beautiful. High mountains in the sunrise are gorgeous!



"The greatest danger for most of us is not
that our aim is too high and we miss it,
but that it is too low and we reach it"

Michelangelo


"I was never a brave man, so I acted like one until I became one."

Theodore Roosevelt

Inga kommentarer: